Tuesday, October 14, 2008

As It Stands

During the Democratic primary, Republicans such as myself advocated that we crossover and vote for Hillary in the hopes that a protracted campaign would help shatter Obama's halo bestowed to him by a sympathetic media. It did what we wanted it to, it brought up names such Jeremiah Wright and William Ayers. But has it backfired? As we enter into the home stretch of the general election, have we doomed ourselves by inoculating people against the charges that we fling against Obama now? His connections to the now infamous ACORN may be our last bullet to stop the juggernaut, but there is no guarantee that it will work.

Call me pessimistic...but I do not think we have a good chance come November. I remember the run-up to the Bush-Kerry election. I remember that although Kerry had a lot going for him, it was clear to many that it would be a close race in the end. Not so here. It's very much a cliche now, but change is in the wind. We are no longer in the middle of a visible war and instead in the middle of an economic crisis that has been wrongly blamed on the Republicans.

Have I given up hope? No, but there is not much to hope in right now. For now, I just fight the good fight. I encourage other Republicans to do the same.

No comments: